About the Situation
By the Numbers
Albania’s population is 2.8 million
12% of the population lives below the poverty line
14% of Albanians are unemployed
(Sources: U.N. and U.S. government)
Albania has made great stride in economic growth and poverty reduction in recent years.
In 2014, the country ranked 95th of 187 countries on the United Nations’ Human Development Index—just making the cutoff to fall under the category of high human development.
While vast improvements have been made toward achieving Millennium Development Goals established by the UN, there is still much work that needs to be done, considering that:
- Unemployment is at nearly 14%
- Gender inequality remains relatively high
- Gaps between opportunities available to rural and urban areas have widened
How Islamic Relief Has Helped
Islamic ReliefTM started working in Albania in 1991, after war and unrest had effectively isolated Albania and hampered already impoverished living conditions for millions of Albanians.
Islamic Relief launched its programs in Albania by first responding to urgent needs: Islamic Relief provided essential food rations and clothing to many who had been suffering from the stresses of war. By the spring 1992, Islamic Relief Albania had opened an office Tirana so that it could implement long-term development projects to help Albanians secure the necessary skills and tools to help them help themselves.
Islamic Relief supported orphans programs in Albania:
RAMADAN FOOD DISTRIBUTION
ORPHAN SUPPORT & SPONSORSHIP
WATER ACCESS FOR REMOTE VILLAGES AND AWARENESS RAISING ON CONSCIENTIOUS WATER USE
This project will provide 1,575 individuals in 4 villages of Dajc Commune with access to clean potable water and increased awareness of conscientious water use via:
- Drilling a water well and connecting it through a system of water pipes and three public taps (one public tap will be constructed in Dacj I Ri village where the school is located, one in Belaj Village and the other one will serve for Rrushkull and Samrisht I Ri where the health center and one elementary school is located as well).
- Construction of a water reservoir to ensure uninterrupted water supply for a minimum of two days.
- Conducting awareness raising sessions at the partner schools with sessions provided by representatives from the Government Dept. for Water Supply. 315 households will be targeted for the awareness raising activities.